Friday, January 16, 2009

Pregnancy Diet

We care a lot about what we eat. Let me put a disclaimer on that: when we're at someone's house we're happy to eat anything at all (especially desserts) but here at home we try hard to stick to our Weston Price diet.

Who the heck is Weston Price?

If you really want to know here's a little something about him over on our CORE blog. Basically we try to eat the way people ate 200 years ago...all kinds of meats and fish, raw dairy (milk, cream, cheese, butter) fruits, veggies, fermented foods (sauerkraut etc.) and whole grains.

And guess what? There's a Weston Price pregnancy diet and I love it!

So this is what I try to eat everyday:


Cod Liver Oil

1 quart whole raw milk

4 tablespoons butter

2 or more eggs

Fresh seafood (2-4 times per week)

Fresh beef or lamb (and bacon too)

2 tablespoons coconut oil

Soaked whole grains (like sprouted bread)

Fresh vegetables and fruits

6 comments:

Emily Judd said...

you are amazing and you are going to have the healthiest baby ever! I love learning about healty food from you! your healthy food always tastes good!

married with children said...

after eating the way i did this past week i'm not sure i'm worthy to be your friend (or big sister)! oh but i do try to eat good.
i love sage's comment "did you put it in your tummy today"...oh if she only knew. wait till you have the sex ed talk with her - i so can't wait to hear what her questions will be then!!!!!!!!!!!!

thebohans said...

you guys are so good i am not sure i could ever go that healthy but i sure miss my trader joes food!i love hearing about all your healthful tips!

Marcy said...

I'm just impressed you can eat seafood or beef this early in pregnancy! lol...it took me to week 20 (at least) before I could even look at it, let alone down it! ;)

Interesting read though on Weston Price. Inspired me to visit the LH market on Friday...though I wish my mom had fed me his diet, then maybe I wouldn't have needed all my dental work and braces! :)

Sarah H said...

Yes I need to eat better too. Part of my problem is I don't know how to get access to some of the good meats and dairy (at least in my budget).
You are an inspiration.
Are you planning to use your same midwives? Their webpage is awesome.

Alicia said...

Sarah, You might want to check out 2 websites: eatwild.com (tells you where to get meat in your area) and realmilk.org (tells you where to find raw milk/dairy). It's not as expensive as you might think. There are definitely some compromises we have to make...not much eating out for us but I don't mind.

And yup I am using my same midwife, Sue...Tomorrow is my first home visit from her!