Friday, October 23, 2009

Count Your Blessings



I was all ready for my 3-day doula training this weekend.

Diapers and wipes. Check.

Lunch, dinner and snacks. Check.


Directions. Check.


Micah. Check.


Ready to go.


The class is in LA at a doula's home. Google Maps says that in traffic it will take 2 hours. I decide to leave super early to avoid the traffic and I arrive an hour and a half early. Micah and I kick around. He eats, I change a diaper, we go for a walk. As the time approaches 9 AM I knock on the door, no answer. Call on the phone, no answer. Knock on neighbors doors. "Do you know the lady next door?" "No" (welcome to Southern California folks). Finally I find a neighbor who tells me that the teacher is out of town until the 1st.

Right date. uhhhhh....no.

I was so mad that I drove so far, wasted so much time and energy. Driving down the road fuming and frustrated, a few mad tears in my eyes, I saw a billboard for a local news station, a great big anchor face staring out at me.

The name of the anchor? Micah.

Suddenly the angry cloud lifted and I remembered my Micah. I glanced over my shoulder at him sleeping peacefully in the back seat and my heart welled up with love. I remembered how much I have to be grateful for. I spent the long car ride home counting my blessings and arrived home with a smile on my face.

5 comments:

Kassie said...

i'm so sorry babe! what a drag, way to turn it around though! you are my hero.

Emily Judd said...

oh man. I'm so sorry!

jackie e said...

that stinks...and i know because I live in LA and wouldn't want to drive here for no reason. BUT, next time you come in you have to call me and we can get together. Seriously! Call me!

married with children said...

alicia...WHY DIDN'T YOU CALL ME?? and come over so i could feed you and let you have a rest!!!! when are you going back? is it near me? i'm gonna call you!
love ya - currie

SeeCampbell said...

I'm so sorry Alicia...we should get together again soon. Kids are all better now I think.