Thursday, October 15, 2009

Homemade Baby Wipes


Call me cheap but I don't like paying $4.50 for "natural" baby wipes. I started looking around for alternatives: washable wipes I wasn't quite ready for so instead we made our own disposables. It takes about 10 minutes and the wipes are 100 times better than store bought. The essential oils help heal and prevent diaper rash; tea tree oil is an antibacterial and lavender has healing properties. Micah's bum has never looked better.

1 roll paper towels, cut in half
2 cups hot water
2 TBS. coconut oil (can use baby oil)
2 TBS. Dr. Bronner's Baby Soap (can use baby soap)
5 drops lavender oil--optional
5 drops tea tree oil--a must, it prevents the wipes from getting moldy

  1. Here's the hardest part of the whole process: cut paper towel roll in half with a serrated knife (if you have an electric knife that would be really handy here).
  2. Place 1/2 of paper towels, cut side down, in an empty wipes container.
  3. Mix hot water with oil, baby wash and essential oils. Pour over wipes, close wipes container and turn upside down. After 5 minutes, remove cardboard tube and start wipes from center (where the tube was).

4 comments:

PJ and Julie said...

Cool, thanks for sharing. I'd love to try this with my next baby...

Tati said...

Thanks for sharing! This is great! What brand paper towels do you use?

Sarah H said...

I"m totally going to make these! Thanks!

The Pierce's said...

Wow Alicia! This is awesome. I'll have to give it a try. Although it sounds a little intimidating...