Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lessons



Micah has eczema.

It began 6 weeks ago. A full blown red, itchy rash covering his body from head to toe. His face is usually weepy, sometimes bloody. There is nothing that stops your heart quite like finding your baby surrounded by blood soaked sheets.

He sleeps fitfully all night and only for an hour or two at a time. He prefers the comfort of our arms to his bed. He does nap for short stretches during the day.

There are nights when I am so tired walking the floor with Micah that I'm ready to fall asleep on my feet. Those nights I wake Shane and have him take over. Many mornings I wonder if I've run a marathon in my sleep because my body is so very sore. Is it the walking or holding for hours on end?

There have been visits to various doctors. We have a drawer full of lotions and potions that don't work. Nothing has seemed to help....yet.

These past weeks many emotions have been swirling around inside...frustration, disappointment, embarrassment, anger, sadness, confusion. Some days I want to run away. I've cried a river of tears, petitioned heaven constantly and...I've grown.

I was asked to give a talk this past Sunday. Choose your own topic, the Bishopric member said. So I chose what's on my mind...trials. I've read my talk often since then to remind myself of what I know to be true.

Sometimes I've felt guilty for my feelings. How can I be frustrated by what is happening to my baby? At least I have a baby, at least he's not dying, at least I know that this is temporary.

In the grand scheme of my life this trial is very small. That's what logic tells me but still that doesn't lessen how difficult it feels at times. I often think of what Victor Frankl wrote in Man's Search For Meaning:

"...a man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little. Therefore the 'size' of human suffering is absolutely relative."

But there are always blessings...always.

1. As Robert Frost said, "The best way out is always through." Shane and I have to go through this. It will make us stronger, more empathetic, more patient....we will be better because of it.

2. Shane gave Micah a blessing and told him that eczema is a blessing to our family because we get the chance to see his true character...patient and sweet. Micah is still as happy as can be during the day despite his lack of sleep and his discomfort.

3. I love our little man more now than I did when he was perfectly healthy.

4. I've gained a new appreciation for Shane. I take weekday nights and he takes weekends so I can rest. He always manages to be kind and cheerful at 5:30 each morning when I wake him up to take over so I can lay down and rest for a couple of hours.

5. I can see many tender mercies in our life. Like one day Sage and I needed to make Valentine's for her class at school. Micah chose that afternoon to nap for 3 hours...first time ever. As we finished the last Valentine we heard our little man crying...perfect timing.

5. I appreciate the Savior more. "The Son of Man hath descended below all things. Art thou greater than he?" How comforting it is to know that He has already felt what I am feeling. When no one else understands He does.

A friend once told me that when hard times come remember what the scriptures say, "And it came to pass." Nothing ever comes to stay. This will pass and someday we will look back and maybe even smile when we think about this time in our lives.

17 comments:

Emily Judd said...

oh poor sweet Micah. :( I am so sorry. I think you are amazing to recognize the good in this trial before its even over. I want to be like you :)

Ashley said...

Lic! Why in the world are you asking how you can help me?!! I should be asking how I can help you!!
Okay so can I give you some unwanted adivce? You don't have to listen...I'm pretty sure you're not going to like the idea. I know you're very green and very non-toxic...but at this point if you've tried everything else, what do you have to lose?
I was very worried about Josie's dry skin and cradle cap. It wasn't as severe as Micah, but still enough that I researched online. I found this study about diluted bleach baths and I even asked her pediatrician. The pediatrician agreed and suggested only 1 tbsp of bleach per tub of water.
http://www.babycenter.com/204_diluted-bleach-baths-ease-kids-eczema_10312947.bc
It really helped...for the first time after the bath Josie actually smiled and cooed and her cradle cap completely disappeared. I know a bleach bath sounds harsh...but honestly if the poor little guy is suffering so much, it might be worth a try.
It's just a thought! I'll be praying for you!

Britni and Owen said...

I'm sorry for your frustrations. Poor little guy. Have you tried bag balm or colloidal silver? I really don't know though, just some thought.

Tati said...

I'm sad to hear about this! I'm glad you are looking at the positive even with these hard times. I'm sure you have tried it, but I have heard breast milk will cure it.

Lizzie had baby acne really bad as well. It was so sad that everyone that saw her, said, Oh, instead of "She's so cute!" It didn't really keep her up at night though. And it did pass sooner than later. I hope it passes soon!

emily said...

Poor baby :( Good luck finding the right cure to heal him!!!

The Hickman Family said...

Oh Alicia, I'm so sorry for little Micah (and you). I can't even imagine how exhausted you guys must be. We'll keep him in our prayers and hopefully you'll be able to find some way or something that will comfort him.

camille said...

Alicia!!! I was so touched by your post. I am so sorry for little Micah and for you and Shane, too. I know this must be so hard to go through and so heartbreaking to see your baby go through it, too. You do have a great perspective and reading your talk to remind yourself is so smart. This too shall pass! You will be in our thoughts and prayers and I hope Micah grows out of this quickly!!! xo

Anonymous said...

Alicia, that is so hard. I know that if anybody can get through this, you and Shane can.

When our oldest had really bad eczema, we tried all sorts of things, and I'm sure that it is specific to child and climate, but we still use a little bit of Cetaphil right after the bath and then a good amount of anhydrous lanolin rubbed in on top of that. When we're really diligent it seems to work.

Marcy said...

Alicia, I know you wrote this post the beginning of Feb, and here we are on Feb 28th...I'm not sure how I missed this post way back when! I was cleaning house on my blog tonight(adding people to my bloglist) and I stumbled on your blog somewhow and just got up to date. I am so sorry. My heart ached as I read your (and Micah's) trial. I can't imagine. I will begin praying for you and your family tonight.

Sending my thoughts and love!
Marcy

Marcy said...

It meant to read "beginning tonight" just not tonight... :)

SeeCampbell said...

Ok, seeing Marcy's post I realize you wrote this a while ago and did not post it immediately. I kept thinking I just checked your blog last week and did not see this. Alicia, we should have had that phone date way back when!!!!! I kept thinking you were busy unpacking and getting settled, but now I know otherwise. I'll call you this week!!!! Miss you so much!!!

Sabrina O'Malley said...

You are all in our prayers. I am so impressed by your faith. What a blessed little boy.

becca said...

Oh Alicia I am so sorry! I am crying for you just reading this post! I don't think there is anything more difficult that watching your child be sick or hurt. IT makes everything more difficult because the emotions are so strong for our kids.

You know that Noelle had eczema when she was a baby (and still has it sometimes), although I don't believe she was ever as bad as Micah. It is so frustrating....SO frustrating when nothing works and you have to watch your child suffer.

Noelle's got worse at around 6 months (when i started introducing foods) and then REALLY bad at around a year (when I quite breast feeding and she was eating all the same foods we did). This is how I figured out she had allergies. Noelle's eczema is completely controlled by diet (creams do nothing for her!), although a change in weather can make her dry skin worse etc. Food allergies are not the cause for most childhood eczema, but if I had listened to the Dr.s I would STILL be struggling because they all told me that sensitivity to food could not be the only cause. For her it was. Don't ever second-guess your own intuition, when it comes to our kids we have inspiration that no one else does.

I think that Noelle just has a sensitive system. Not only to food, but to chemicals, preservatives, sweeteners, food coloring, etc.... Her body simply cannot digest or process these things.

The thing I have noticed about eczema is that EVERY case is so different. What causes it in one is NOT the cause in another, and this only makes it all the more frustrating! I remember one Dr. I saw (he is a homeopathic chiropractor that my family has always gone to) told me that when he sees kids and especially babies with eczema it is almost never a skin problem. It is usually not the skin that is irritated, but something inside that is pushing out....(a warning sign that I should be grateful for is waht he would tell me to try an make me feel better...it didn't :) This is why creams don't work. Even if they are able to heal the skin a little, the problem is still there...pushing it's way out of the body the only way it knows how.

Sorry this is so long...I should probably just email you. I know you have had all the advice you can take....but at the very least I can sympathize with you and pray for you and little Micah.

Now....8 years later.....I can honestly say that Noelle's eczema was a blessing. It warned us of problems we might not have known about any other way, and taught me love and patience in a way nothing else could have.

Amy said...

oh boy! i walked all night 2 nights in row while rock was sick... i can't imagine going through it longer than that. bless your sweet heart. love and prayers.

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

So profound. I'm so sorry your little guy is dealing with this but am grateful for the example you set of faith and patience. We're thinking about you!

mb said...

Dear Alicia,
it is so hard to see our children going through that. I look up to you so much as a mother and know you do everything that is best for your children. you are an amazing mom.

I was just reading an article about eczema in children on a blog called organicthrifty.com and thought i would pass on the article. my love to you.

http://www.organicthrifty.com/2009/10/14/nutritional-support-for-eczema/

Keli and Mike said...

I hope Micah is feeling better by now. I love your positive outlook on it all. With each trial we become closer to our Savior!