Saturday, April 26, 2008

A First Time for Everything


This is long...read at your own risk. Also, note the pained look on Sage's face...I should have seen trouble coming.

Before I begin let me emphatically state that I do not enjoy taking Sage shopping. We take our monthly Target/Walmart trips and our weekly grocery trips but I try never to take her clothes/shoe shopping. I feel bad schlepping her in and out of stores at malls for hours on end...I prefer hanging out with Sage at the park or the beach. My best shopping is done solo.

That being said, today I took Sage to the Spectrum. Shane is at an all-day (9 AM-11 PM) chiro seminar so we have a whole day to kill. I really wanted to go to the Oakley store to pick out a new pair of much needed sunglasses (don't worry, we get them free) and take Sagie for a carousel ride.

We visited half a dozen stores and then on to the carousel. I should have seen the storm brewing....halfway through the ride Sage informed me that she was all done. We begin the long and hot (90+ degrees) walk back to the car. Sage sat down on the hot pavement and refused to go on. I gave her the choice to walk or be carried to the car...silence from her. I picked her up and then it happened, her very first full-blown tantrum...kicking, screaming, attempting to scratch (I quickly pinned her arms to her side). Into the car she went and screamed my name for the next few minutes. I was feeling pretty steamed on the ride home. As we drove I mulled over my options and then (thankfully) a scripture from D&C came to mind:

"Reproving betimes with sharpness....then showing forth afterwards an increase of love towards him whom thou hast reproved..."

Bingo. Just what I needed. We arrived home, I gave her a great big hug and kiss and "I love you" and we walked through the front door chatting and smiling. All's well that ends well.

5 comments:

Marcy said...

Alicia-oh no! I'm sorry for you you had to experience a tantrum, but I'm super impressed she's this old and it's her first one. Sage is such a cutie (despite the grump on her face) and it IS hot today, holy cow!

Spencer was 19 months when he had his first real tantrum as you described (the hitting gets me steamed) and I remember I cried the whole way home from the store...course I was pregnant too, that might have had something to do with it. lol

But that IS a perfect scripture for tantrums. I'll have to remember that, for sure.

What a great mom you are! And that pic of Sage with your mom is SO sweet. Nothing like a grandma's love...which is why I named Leda after MY grandma :) Grandma's are the best!

Marcy said...

Wow, sorry for the lengthy response! lol

Emily Judd said...

wow she really is a normal child! :-) Sorry you had to go through that! ESPECIALLY on a hot day! What a good scripture

Jen said...

peesha, you are such a great mom.

Cannon and Kassie said...

girls are the best!