Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Listen Up


A college roommate introduced me to Ben Folds Five. I listened faithfully until they broke up a few years back. Now out on his own Ben Folds is still the same...the raucous piano playing, the poignant songs that unfold a story (think "Brick"-his first big hit). He also manages to make songs that are achingly beautiful like "The Luckiest." Listen up here.

P.S. Another favorite is "Gracie" a love song to his young daughter. Hear it here (just ignore the video).

4 comments:

Emily Judd said...

The Luckiest is one of my all-time favorite songs! I love Ben Folds!

Christie said...

Do you know how long I have been working on a slideshow for Matt, with pics of Grace, to that song. A LONG TIME. I almost can't even handle hearing the song, I have played it so many times.

Love Ben. Love the song Kate, too. If I had a girl named Kate, I wonder if I would have a hard time saying KATE! KATE! and yelling it like he does.

Good pick. And I forgot to tell you Matt got to see Travis live a while back. Lucky guy, huh?

Sarah H said...

I love this song too. So beautiful.
Also, LOVED your comments on my blog!

Marcy said...

Oooh, we love Ben Folds. I'm a sucker for anyone that can play piano and sing.

My favorite song of all by him is "Wanderering"...though Luckiest is Leda's favorite. She thinks she knows all the words, though I don't have the heart to tell her her "luckiest" sounds like "yuckiest". lol.