Thursday, October 30, 2008

To My AP Government Teacher


Dear Mr. Howell,

Remember me? I'm the girl who slept through most every 5th period. Remember that afternoon you pulled me aside after class and asked if I planned on voting when I turned 18? I said that my vote didn't count so why would I bother. And you, Mr. Howell, promised that someday I would find out otherwise.

Someday has come.

In the last few weeks my husband and I (and everyone else we know) have been knocking doors, making phone calls, waving signs at street rallies and writing letters.

Margaret Mead once said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

This year I can't wait to vote YES on Prop 8. I know that my vote matters.

You were right all along Mr. Howell.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Ah, beautifully said Alicia! I'm anxious for Tuesday to come and go. I'm proud of ALL of our efforts.

Erin R. said...

Good job Alicia! Grant and I are jealous that you get to be so involved in such a good cause. We are rooting for Prop 8 and hoping with all of our might that the citizens of California choose the right and get it passed!

Melissa Walton said...

I wish I could be in CA and help with all of those things to support Prop 8! I'm glad that we did absentee voting so we could put our vote in for Prop 8!