Friday, November 12, 2010

Surrendering.


Our old kitchen...I miss that dishwasher...a lot.

I did it.

I finally caved and hired a house cleaner. Today was Yuliana's third time here. All it took was much badgering on Shane's part, Elder Uchtdorf's talk (slow down in times of turbulence) and then my SIL telling me that during a recent crazy, stressful time in her life she had a cleaning lady.

Fifteen months of sleepless nights have resulted in one tired mama. First it was the nursing woes...Micah and I would be up for an hour plus each time he nursed at night. I thought that was rough. Ha! Try getting up 6, 7, 8,9 times each and every night (for 10 months) to comfort an itchy baby. Sometimes it's easy and I just pop a binky in and we drift back to sleep. Other nights I'm in for the long haul....the walking and comforting, rubbing tummy or ears (his magic spot).

What took me so long to get some help? Some part of me felt that having a cleaner would be admitting that I'm a failure. I love keeping my home neat and clean. I love making everything from scratch (errr...used to). I love keeping it all together. But keeping it all together has been a distant memory this year. Unfolded laundry sits in baskets for a week at a time, floors gather dust and crumbs, dishes pile up all day long and we eat many a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner.

That said Shane is a marvelous helper. Guess who does the dishes most every night? Guess who makes yummy hearty breakfasts for his wife every morning? Pancakes, bacon and eggs, always something good to fill my belly. Guess who patiently takes Micah each morning at 4:30 AM so that I can get a few hours of real sleep? Only trouble is most nights we get the kids down and he hops on the computer and gets right back to work. Not much time (or energy) to clean at night.

We already love Yuliana. She comes once a week, cleans and even does some cooking. She showed up on her first day with homemade frijoles, tomatoes and peppers (from which she made homemade salsa) and tortillas. We gobbled her dinner down that night and we both agreed that it is worth every penny to have a clean home and delicious food that we had nothing to do with.

9 comments:

Maggie said...

Bobby and I have talked about one day, when we're making more money, having someone come to help out around the house and to me it sounds like heaven, not like failure. And you've got to be once exceptionally pooped mama...I'm absolutely amazed that you've made it this far without some help. I think I'd be a disaster.

Emily Judd said...

wooohoo for a cleaning lady! You guys totally deserve it! I feel like I need one now and I am getting uninterrupted sleep every night! I can't believe you held out this long :) but you are amazing...

Cynthia Hatch said...

I have always wanted a cleaning lady. My sister told her husband that was what she wanted for Christmas. To have someone come in and take care of the house so she could enjoy her family. Just remember that you and your kids are worth it. You deserve to have your time devoted to them and not to the house.

Melissa Walton said...

Glad I could be of some help in the decision making process! There are only so many hours in the day, and when caring for your children (all 3) takes about every minute, then you need some extra help. You are amazing and someday you'll be up to cooking and cleaning again. That little boy needs his mama, and Sage and baby do too! But for now, enjoy the help.

The Hickman Family said...

Good for you!

Dr. John said...

Having been to Boulder and seeing some of your life, all I can say is, if anyone deserves some help, it would be YOU! I absolutely don't know how you and Shane have managed with SO little sleep for so long! Furthermore, you both do it SO graciously! I am always amazed at you two!

Shelly

Bloom said...

Hi Alicia!

I just wanted to get back to you on your question about my geneology chart. It is a Martha Stewart that hasn't been available for years now. :( BUT, we have gotten so many inquiries about it that we are working on creating one that will be made available through our blog. Stay tuned!

thanks
anne

Sabrina O'Malley said...

So happy you are getting some much needed and deserved help. You are such an amazing person who does so much. You should feel nothing but proud about all you have done and continue to do.

SeeCampbell said...

So happy you are getting help. Wish I was there to serve you instead of hired help but I'm sure her cooking beats mine! I miss you guys and hope you are making the best of your lives there. One day we will talk on the phone. Seems like there is never a dull moment, eh? Can't wait to see the newest addition. If you do come out this way, please know you have a place to stay!