Thursday, December 23, 2010

A perfect Saturday.


Riding the bus back from the lodge. Micah decided that dirty bus seat
tasted better than anything the lodge had to offer.


Shane here. I don't often write in the blog, so you know if I do, it's gotta be something special. One of my best memories of growing up is skiing at Lake Tahoe. Living in Boulder, we've joined the rest of the town and bought season passes to El Dora, a resort 30 minutes from our house. Sage is a good athlete, but had never skied before last month. She spent the first 3 days holding onto my hand or pole as we went down the hill. There were mostly happy times, but a few tears came after hard falls, cold weather, and getting frustrated.

I bribed Sage with a $10 bill if she was able to make it down the bunny slope all by herself and lunch at the lodge if she could make it down the green hill one lift over. Two Saturdays ago, she was so close, but didn't quite make it. Once going down the hill that day, she tried to negotiate with me. If she skied down just half of the hill, could we go to the lodge for lunch? I told her that I had high standards and that only when she skied down the whole hill, including getting off the chair lift and not falling while skiing and not touching me at all, then she'd get lunch. While laying in the snow after falling, she was cold and started crying, and said, "I don't like standards."

I knew that this past Saturday she was going to do it; the weather was warmer and we were up there early. On the 2nd or 3rd run, Sage did it! It was one of the happier moments for me as a dad. We went over to the next hill and she went down that one on her own as well. The next 5 runs, she was totally on her own, even asking if she can could on the chair lift by herself. She earned her rewards.

After Sage and I finished, we went back to the car where Alicia and Micah were hanging out. It was Alicia's turn to ski with Sage. From where we parked, I was able to see both of them as they skied down. I was relieved that every time Sage make it to the bottom she would patiently wait for Alicia. Sage taught Alicia everything that she knows and they both did well.

Compared to other kids in Boulder, Sage is getting a late start in skiing, but I have a feeling that she's going to pass many of them soon. Check out the video and you'll see that she looks like a natural. Even started using her poles and doing really great!!!

Micah, you're next...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it's Alicia. I just love seeing Shane be the proud papa....he's not one to brag about our kiddos but he sure is proud of Sage. Skiing was lots of fun last week. Sage and I got in 6 runs together. She was coaching me all the way up on the lift and even on the mountain, "Great job Mom!" and "I can hold your hand if you want."

By the way, we did eat at the lodge that day. Local ski resort is code for cruddy lodge...the food brought back memories of my elementary school cafeteria. We had a snack there and then went to Sage's favorite place for dinner, Larkburger. Mmmm...truffle (as in mushroom) burgers and truffle parmesan fries. Yum.

5 comments:

Emily Judd said...

woohoo!! way to go Sage! nathan and I were SO impressed with her video! She's a natural for sure! what a fun family tradition.

Melissa Walton said...

I loved the video Sage! I can't wait to ski with you someday soon! You'll have to teach Ash and Sadie how to ski. I'll have to give your dad few tips. Loved the blog post from Shane! Made me cry!

Marcy said...

SO cute!

liz said...

Way to go Sage! Your rock!

Liz Strong

shannon draper said...

This is my first comment on a blog post ever, but I just have to after that video. That was incredible, Shane. So fun to see you a proud Dad. I am also impressed that you must have been videoing while skiing. I am not sure I could do that.

Your family is precious!