Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Critters


Sage and a deer in the backyard

Run-in #1:
Recently I was waiting Shane's arrival after work. It was late, the house was dark and I was upstairs. I heard a bang and some shuffling, thinking my hubby was home I ran downstairs and yelled out my "hello." No answer. More shuffling. Suddenly I remembered that the back door was open. My adrenaline started pumping. Thinking there was an intruder I started flipping on lights and made my way to the mud room by the back door. Heart pounding, I turned the corner and saw....a wily raccoon in my kitchen trash. He hissed at me and not knowing what else to do I stomped my feet loudly and off he ran.

Run-in #2:

Early one morning a few weeks back Shane heard a crash outside. He looked out the window and saw a bear in our trash. In the light of morning we assessed the damage: backyard full of dirty diapers and two big piles of bear poo. Lovely.

Run-in #3:
Shane hitched a ride with a friend to Priesthood Session on Saturday night while the kids and I went off for a night with some friends. Shane arrived home around 8:15 PM and knocked but no answer. As he waited on the porch he saw a bear a couple houses down. The bear lumbered along on the sidewalk and then crossed the street. Waaaaay too close for comfort.

Our neighbor next door has had a bear cub and mama in her tree. Bears have also been spotted strolling around the alleys in the neighborhood.

The neighbor 3 doors down kept finding decapitated raccoons lying around his yard. He wanted to know what was creeping around at night and killing those 'coons so he set-up a motion sensor camera. After a few days he had a photo of a great big mountain lion.

This is why we don't go out in our backyard after dark.

5 comments:

Maggie said...

okay, i love wildlife and i'm all for snow white moments, but that's way too crazy! scary!

Emily Judd said...

holy moly! i'm with maggie!

Kassie said...

umm....why are you telling me this? now i definitely don't want to live there! seriously scary though, but are they so used to humans that they won't attack?

Unknown said...

Smart thinking, they will attack.
I recommend not letting Sage play all by herself either. BTW, you may want to put a pot and a spoon that you can use to scare them away.

Melissa Walton said...

Dave was probably the one that decapitated the coons.