Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 5 in the Big Apple

Statue of Liberty




On Ellis Island


Am Egyptian tomb at the Met


A mummy!


An Egyptian statue



Outside the Met


Dear Sage,

Today was a busy busy day.  Kassie and I left her apartment at 8 AM, hopped on the subway and then boarded a ferry (boat) to Ellis Island.  On the way to the Island we passed the Statue of Liberty.  It was being renovated (fixed up) but normally you can walk all the way up into her crown and face!! It was a wet, gray day but we didn't mind.  Long ago, Ellis Island was where immigrants (people coming from other countries to live in America) had to stop before going on to New York City (or other places).  Kassie and I learned that 13 million people passed through Ellis Island.  We loved looking at all the photographs of the people from all over the world.  My other favorite sight were the baby shoes they saved from babies who had been through Ellis Island.  

Kassie had somewhere to eb for a few hours so Haven and I traveled alone to the Metropolitan Museum of Art (also known as the Met).  Haven and I were very tired by this point (it was about 3 PM) and from the point we arrived at the Met until we got home at 6 PM we experienced what Kass calls a typical NY day.

1) waited 20 minutes in the coat check line to check my heavy backpack
2) start walking into the gallery when a security guard stops me and informs me that I need a ticket.
3) go to get a ticket but oops remember I left my wallet in my backpack at the coat check.  One of the ladies takes pity on me and tells me I can pay on the way out.
4)We need to use the bathroom which the guard informs me is on the bottom level.  Walk downstairs, find the bathroom, use it.  Feed Haven then attempt to use the elevator.  It doesn't come 5 minutes later so I walk upstairs and get all turned around (it's a huge museum).  The I walk upstairs another gigantic flight of stairs and by that point I'm pooped and hardly even care when I see Monet (my favorite!).  I decide it's time to leave.
5) go outside and wait for bus.  I wait for 15 minutes wondering why the buses keep passing out stop.  I ask someone next to me and learn that I'm waiting at the tour bus stop.  We find the right bus stop and wait some more.
6) get on bus but bus doesn't go.  Everyone starts to get mad, driver finally goes and we're on our way.
7) Get off bus, it's dark, I feel unsure of where I am.
8) fall down while crossing street.  I fall on umbrella and break it  So now I get to walk the rest of the way home in the rain.  Lovely.
9) Get home at long last...tired, hungry and sick of the city.

I'm excited to come home and see you and Micah and dad and hug you and hear all about what you've been up to.  See you tonight.

xo Mom






3 comments:

Allison said...

Oh man...that sounds like a typical bad mom day. :) What fun posts about NY!!!(and darling letter to Sage). Lucky lucky girl. must see you soon! xoxox

Camille said...

Sounds like your trip was really fun and filled with great adventure. Sorry the last part of the last day was so rough. Hope you made it home safely.

Sarah H said...

Alicia,
Loved seeing all of your NY pictures. You look adorable!