Monday, May 12, 2008

M-Day

Before he gives me a gift Shane loves to give me crazy hints to throw me off the scent but there's no way I could have guessed this one. This year he gave me (along with a massage) a challenge. He told me that I was going to do something very tough, something that would push me to my limits emotionally and/or physically. We brainstormed together:

-finish the last 30 credits of my undergrad? (that's right folks...I am a college drop-out)
-become a doula?
-write a song and play my guitar/sing at a local open mic night?
-learn to swim (I can dog paddle but nothing more)
-learn to mountain bike?

Nah...none of those sounded right. Then we came up with the biggie...Climb Half Dome.
For those of you who don't know what Half Dome is let me fill you in:
16.4 miles round trip hike, takes anywhere from 10-12 hours (depending how fast you are). The climax is a 425-foot rock face at about a 45 degree angle, luckily you've got steel cables to hold onto as you go up.
Nice Mother's Day gift, eh? Actually I love it! The last time I really pushed myself mentally and physically is when I gave birth to Sage at home. Home birth was a huge milestone in my life and I think Half Dome will be too.

5 comments:

jackie e said...

some tips from some avid hikers from my young women days...
take tons of water, more than what you would expect, pace yourself, bring maybe 2 meals and lots of energy snacks.
i don't think i could ever hike longer than a few hours...but it's still an awesome place is what i hear.

Sarah H said...

WOW! what a challenge!
can you come be my Doula at my birth?

Core Chiropractic said...

I wish I could come Sarah...I would love that so much!!

mikelle said...

Are you going to become a doula? That is so awesome! I am so fascinated with homebirths, midwives, doulas, etc. I would love to do a homebirth but my pain tolerance isn't great so I don't know if I would be able to handle it!

Alicia said...

Mikelle, when I first married Shane I was a big fat wimp when it came to childbirth...I wanted my epidural. But as I read/sudied more and more I felt more and more confident in my body...and I did something called Hypnobabies...that was a HUGE help in relaxing and enjoying the whole amazing process.