Friday, May 16, 2008

Signs That Summer Is Here


  • Hot, flushed cheeks at the park.
  • I pulled out the fan for Sage's nap today. "Our cold days are lost," she observed.
  • At the Farmer's Market all the food was wilted....but we bought it anyway because it's fresh and organic.
  • The first crop of organic peaches I just bought got dead ripe before we could eat them...which means it's time to make Dead Ripe Fruit Vinaigrette. Yum!

Dead Ripe Fruit Vinaigrette

About 1/2 cup very ripe fruit--strawberries, blackberries, peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines or tomatoes
2 cloves garlic (or 1 large one)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 to 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt, freshly ground pepper and a pinch of fresh herbs to taste

1. In a food processor or blender, puree the fruit and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients, seasoning with salt, pepper and herbs.

P.S. Did you know that many blenders can be used with a standard mason jar, or wide-mouthed mason jar? The blender whips it right in the jar! Here's how:

Step 1: Remove the base from the regular blender container.
Step 2:
Screw on the base to the mason jar. Make sure it is nice and tight.
Step 3:
Invert the jar and place on the blender.

5 comments:

mikelle said...

Did she really say that? That is such a grown up thing to say, how funny! How old is she now?

That dressing sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try. What Farmer's Market do you go to?

Emily Judd said...

yummy! I know you've talked about that dressing before, it sounds so good! Your asparagus frittata was excellent by the way!!!! We LOVED it. It will be on my blog when I get around to it!!!

Alicia said...

Hooray! Glad you liked the fritatta Emily.

And Mikelle, I go to the Farmer's Market by Trader Joe's in Laguna Hills (Fridays 9-1)

Marcy said...

What a cute picture of Sage, and I know what you mean by flushed cheeks. It's been quite hot lately!

That dressing recipe looks good, thanks! I go to the Farmers Market too most Fridays. Weird we haven't run into each other!

I'd like that Asparagus Frittata recipe. Sounds really good, and I just bought Asapragus this morning. Can I trouble you for the recipe? marcyjm@hotmail.com

thanks!

Marcy said...

nevermind Alicia! I just lurked on Emily's site and saw it posted there! YUM!